Dr. Jeffrey Philpott is the Vice Provost for Academic Quality and Administration at BSBI. Appointed in 2023, his role is to lead key strategic initiatives, oversee administrative and academic quality activities at BSBI, provide consultation and mentoring to students and lecturers for enhancing their academic and professional skills and performance, and design didactic strategies that maximize the BSBI student experience.
During his career, he has served in several higher education positions at both public and private institutions in the United States, including Dean of Students and Vice President for Student Affairs & International Programs.
After relocating to Germany to manage his own business, Dr. Philpott served as Head of Academic Quality and then as Academic Dean at a business school in Munich. As Dean, he focused his efforts on faculty development, the creation and implementation of academic quality programs, curriculum design, strategic partnerships, and on student satisfaction, retention and learning.
Dr. Philpott has also taught extensively over the years, including Research and Writing, Educational Theory and Interpersonal Skills, Corporate Strategy, and Business Ethics.
Dr. Philpott earned his Doctor of Philosophy degree in Higher Education Administration at Bowling Green State University, in Ohio, in 1998. As part of his doctoral research, he published articles on organizational cultures within American higher education.
Dr. Philpott’s current areas of interest include pedagogical methods that illuminate the practical applications of theory, student engagement, higher education leadership, and academic quality.
Areas of expertise
- Academic Quality
- Academic Administration
- Student Affairs
- Student Learning & Development
- Assessment & Evaluation
- Business Ethics
- Organizational Culture
- Higher Education Management
- Academic Quality
- Philpott, J. L. and Strange, C. (January/February 2003). “On the Road to Cambridge”: A Case Study of Faculty and Student Affairs in Collaboration. The Journal of Higher Education (74)1, 77-95.
- Philpott, J. L. (Spring 1997). The Urbanization of the American Campus: Our Changing Obligations to the Changed Student. (Review of the book: The Urban Campus: Educating the New Majority for the New Century.) NACADA Journal (17)1, 73-74.
- Philpott, J. L. (1997). Facing Up to Our Campus Drinking Problem: What We Know. About Campus, 2(2), 4-8.
- Philpott, J. L. (1997) Facing Up to Our Campus Drinking Problem: The View from Campus. About Campus, 2(2), 9-15.
Awards and Honors
- Academic Excellence Award, Faculty Member of the Year, Munich, Germany (2021-22)
- Geschäftsführer, MGM Gastro, GmbH, Munich, Germany (November 2016).
- Invited Envoy, The World Council of Optometry, Medellin, Colombia (August 2015).
- Invited Keynote Speaker, the University of Guayaquil, Guayaquil, Ecuador (delivered in Spanish, July 2014)
- Invited Ambassador, Konkuk University Symposium on the Internationalization of Higher Education, Seoul, Republic of Korea (March 2009)
- Invited Speaker, China Agricultural University, Beijing, People’s Republic of China (July 2008)
- Inspirational Leadership Award Recipient Associated Students of Hawaii Pacific University (May 2006)
- NASPA Stevens Leadership Institute for Senior Student Affairs Officers (2003)
- Faculty Award for Academic Excellence Recipient, Bowling Green State University (April 1998)
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society Initiate, Idaho State University (1993)