Enquire Now

By law, you are required to obtain health insurance. This will cover the cost of any medical treatment you may require during your stay in Germany, including in the case that a person cannot pay for the doctor because of their illness. In Germany there is a system of Public Insurance (statutory health insurance, gesetzliche Krankenversicherung) and Private Insurance.

The basic insurance plan covers the following services:

  • Out-patient medical treatments
  • Basic dental care
  • In-patient stays and treatments in hospital
  • Medically required rehabilitation measures
  • Services for pregnant patients and births


Public insurance (Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung):

If you are studying at BSBI in cooperation with Uninettuno or UCA and you are under the age of 30 years, then you have to opt for public health insurance.

BSBI has a partnership with DAK, the third largest public health insurance provider in Germany.

We have a dedicated contact person at DAK, Mr Thomas Schad, who can assist you with signing up for your public health insurance.

You can e-mail Herr Schad via Email and he will be able to guide you through the necessary steps and documents.

You can also sign up via the online form: Click here!

 There are also other public health insurance provider in Germany, such as TK, AOK, KKH, Barmer etc.

BSBI will not accept the private health insurances from the students under 30 years old.

If students under 30 years have private health insurance and want to continue with it, he/she needs to receive a certificate of exemption from any public health insurance office and present it to the college (German: “Bescheinigung über die Befreiung von der gesetzlichen Krankenversicherung”). A certificate from exemption can be obtain only within 3 months from the study beginning.

Private insurance:

Students who are older than 30 years are not accepted by the public health insurances and therefore need to apply for a private health insurance with a coverage comparable to a public health insurance.

If you are studying at BSBI in cooperation with CUC you also have to sign up for private insurance, as there are no health insurance agreements set in place between the USA and Germany.

One of the most popular private health insurances are Advigon, HanseMerkur, Envivas, Barmenia, Allianz, and Mawista.

From the time of enrolment students have three months to decide whether they want to be insured with public or private health insurance or a private health. This decision is binding and cannot be reversed for the duration of the enrolment. We recommend that students opt for public health insurance, if possible.

German healthcare providers include DAK, TK, AOK, BARMER, KKH.

The monthly contribution for any public health insurance is around 110€ and will increase to around 120€ from October 2022, as determined by the federal government.

If you’re a student from the EU or EEA and already possess insurance in your own country, your existing plan may be accepted by German health companies. Similarly, if you’re the owner of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which is recognised in Germany, you don't need to register for insurance in Germany. If this is the case, you will receive a certificate stating you are exempt from German insurance.