Careers Event | Cover Letters in Germany Workshop
Host: Michael Ferenc
Venue: Room 305, Alte Post, Berlin Campus
Time: 13:00 Europe/Berlin
Date: 31 August 2023
The art of writing up a cover letter has not been completely forgotten in Germany. Most organisations operating in or from this country, in fact, still require the document as part of their application process.
This can be requested in the traditional form of an A4 letter accompanying your CV or as a “Motivation Statement” or “Additional Information” field which needs to be filled out when you submit an application online.
Don’t let the absence of an explicit requirement or a “mandatory” label on an online field deceive you into thinking that you may omit this component from your application process at will. Instead, you should always have a basic cover letter template on hand that you may further modify for each position you apply for. In most circumstances, you will be required to upload it or to enter relevant information in an online form.
In this workshop you will learn:
- about the correct formatting of a cover letter in the English language for the German market
- what content needs to be included in the document
- what content can be left out of the document
- how you can create an impactful cover letter/motivation statement that will boost your application success rate
- how the cover letter should link to the JD
- how the cover letter should complement the CV
- what is its role in a speculative application (Initativbewerbung)
Successful examples of cover letters from other students (anonymised) will also be showcased for your reference.
Cover Letters in Germany Workshop
31st August 2023
1pm to 2pm CET
This is a registration-only event delivered in a hybrid mode. Students from Athens, Hamburg or Paris campuses can join online.
Reminder: Please be guided by the Code of Conduct for BSBI Events